On 07/30/2013 11:53 AM, Chris Hartman wrote:
> Ah. It appears I now have a reason to perform SASL binds over LDAPS. My
Active Directory guys are complaining; they say the AD server is
throwing errors that some clients are performing unsigned SASL binds.
When signing is required on the server, bind attempts from SSSD clients
fail.

> So, I ask again, is there a way I can force my SSSD clients to use LDAPS?

I looked in the trac to see what we have there relevant to your case.
I found
https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/ticket/1030
https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/ticket/1277

I also found this
https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/ticket/780
and
https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/ticket/561

But it is to use the actual PKI authentication for the client connection
not to just armor the tunnel.

So it looks like we do not have a RFE to cover what you are looking for.
I wonder if you can override the default configuration and use
certificates anyways on top of GSSAPI.
I think so but we actually want to remove this capability. See
https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/ticket/489

So may be we should not do it and allow for double tunneling for cases
like this? But it is extremely inefficient.
Can AD guys allow SASL GSSAPI binds? I think that would be the simplest
as it has same security attributes as bind over the LDAPS.

<mailto:qrs...@gmail.com>> wrote:

> Stephen,
>
> Ah. I did not realize that. I thought some directory information might
be coming over in plaintext as with normal LDAP binds. Since this is not
the case, I'm happy!

<mailto:sgall...@redhat.com>> wrote:

> On 07/24/2013 03:50 PM, Chris Hartman wrote:
> > Hi guys!
>
> > Is there anyway I can force my SSSD clients running 1.9.5 (Ubuntu
> > 12.04) and 1.9.2 (CentOS 6) to bind to LDAPs (port 636) instead of
> > LDAP (port 389) when my providers are all set to "ad"?
>

> Why would you want to do this? The GSSAPI communication provided by
> the Kerberos keytab is already encrypting all communication you send
> on port 389.

Thank you,
Dmitri Pal

Red Hat Inc.