On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 02:53:39PM -0400, Louis Garcia wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 3:22 AM, Lukas Slebodnik <lsleb...@redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On (19/08/17 14:45), Louis Garcia wrote:

> > >You did tell me that I was not hitting that RH bug. Sorry.

> > >Yes
> > >

> > And this is the main problem why it does not work for you.
> >
> > Because pam_unix will be used as the first one.
> > And I would not recommend to change order of modules pam stack manually.
> >
> > Your local account should have different password or should not have
> > password
> > at all. Otherwise such setup will not work for you.
> >
> > LS
> >

> Hey we are finally getting somewhere.
>
> If I delete my local account I can't login at all. I added my local account
> back but with no password and I was able to login and get my kerberos
> ticket.
>
> So with this setup I still need a local account an every box I use, with no
> password or different then the kerberos one?
> I thought I could centrally
> manage my user accounts and passwords with kerberos?

Well, kerberos doesn't provide an OS-level identity. So even with
Kerberos, you still need some entity that defines the username, the UID,
GID, shell etc. Here it's a line in /etc/passwd, with IPA it would be an
entry with LDAP. Then you need a way to map the Kerberos principals to
these identities, often as easy as saying "OS-level username + REALM
name = Kerberos principal".

> Do I need something like freeipa? Might be a bit out bounds for this list.
> Thank you for your help.

It really depends on your use-case. I think the user in files + Kerberos
authentication is fine for a single workstation, but for multiple
machines, I would go with the FreeIPA/AD/whatever route.