On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 10:00:35AM +0200, Michael Löffler wrote:
> Dear SSSD Users,
>
> I have a question regarding the renewal of Kerberos tickets within a Samba
> AD. All servers and clients are running Ubuntu 16.04. We have a lot of
> Windows clients too; therefore we're using Samba. First of all, I'll
> summarize our setup:
>
> - One server acts as the Samba AD Host (and Kerberos (integrated in Samba)
> principal)
> - One server acts as a file server; all directories (the users' home
> directories as well) are exported via kerberized NFS
> - The clients mount the directories; login auth is realized using sssd (with
> id_provider = ad, auth_provider = ad and access_provider = ad)
>
> When a user logs in at a client, he gets a Kerberos ticket and is therefore
> granted access to his home directory. If he locks the screen and logs in
> again, the ticket is renewed. However, if the user keeps the client locked
> for a time greater than the ticket lifetime, the ticket expires and the user
> is not able to write to his home directory any more. That's a problem if the
> user is, for example, running a process which takes a long time (in our case
> mostly simulations which are usually run overnight). The same things happens
> if a user connects to a client via ssh. Then, the ticket is never renewed
> automatically.
>
> Is it somehow possible to configure that sssd renews the krb5 ticket if the
> user has active processes running?
>
> Regards
> Michael

Yes, please check man sssd-krb5 and the option that include 'renew' in
their name, e.g. "krb5_renewable_lifetime".

But please note that only tickets acquired through SSSD will be renewed
this way. Tickets acquired through kinit or in other way won't -- that's
why we are working on KCM and in particular
https://pagure.io/SSSD/sssd/issue/1723