The new API is a C one, currently it’s used by slapi-nis only, I think.

I wonder if using the already existing D-Bus API would be an option? I don’t
know how good or bad are PHP D-Bus bindigs, but looking up the e-mail address
works for sure, check out e.g.:
https://github.com/jhrozek/fosdem2018/blob/master/dbus-api/dbus_example_simple.py