On Mon, Oct 07, 2019 at 09:53:35AM -0500, Spike White wrote:
> All,
>
> I worked an sssd configuration case with my OS vendor in the last 3 weeks.
> I have resolution and it's working 100% correctly.
>
> Just wanted to double-check.  A second set of eyes to verify this solution
> is all above board.
>
> The problem manifested itself in our multi-domain AD forest with Posix
> Attributes.  One parent domain that has a transitive trust with 4
> (regional) child domains.
>
> Thus all 4 child domains trust each other.  All users and groups are stored
> in the 4 child domains.
>
> The original problem was that I was disabling subdomains_provider and
> explicitly defining each of the 4 child domains. I had:
>
>    domains = amer.company.com,apac.company.com, ....
>    [domain/amer.company.com]
>    [domain/apac.company.com]
>
> That worked great -- for everything except universal groups.  Universal
> groups exist in the first domain in which they're created, but they're
> replicated to each domain.  However, each child domain for this group's
> membership only has the local users of that domain.  The full universal
> group membership is stored only in the global catalog (GC).
>
> The problem?  The GC lookups are done in the subdomain_provider's code.  So
> by disabling subdomains_provider, I was disabling GC lookups.  Thus,  I was
> getting the group membership only of the first child domain queried (
> amer.company.com).
>
> What that amounted to is that remote support personnel couldn't log into
> local boxes, because they weren't listed in the allowed groups.
>
> So I re-wrote the sssd.conf file and only explicitly defined the one local
> child domain.  I left on subdomain_provider, so it auto-discovered the
> other domains (sssctl domain-list confirms this).
>
> Like this:
>
>    domains = amer.company.com
>    [domain/amer.company.com]
>    ldap_search_base = dc=AMER,dc=COMPANY,dc=COM
>
>    [domain/amer.company.com/apac.company.com]
>    ldap_search_base = dc=APAC,dc=COMPANY,dc=COM
>
> So then, universal groups showed all memberships.  The only remaining
> problem was that now it was only searching the amer.company.com child
> domain.  So while a remote user was listed as a member of an allowed
> universal group, the details of that user's account was not known.
>
> I couldn't add these auto-discovered domains to the "domains" line.  (only
> domains explicitly defined in sssd.conf file are allowed in this line
> apparently).  But I was able to add:
>
>    domain_resolution_order = amer.company.com, emea.company.com,
> apac.company.com, japn.company.com, company.com
>
> Now all works 100%.
>
> Is this all legit?  Do you see any problems with above final sssd.conf
> setting?

Hi,

the changes are ok. However in theory both are not needed. The
ldap_search_base should be discovered automatically and
domain_resolution_order is only needed if you want SSSD to search the
different domains in exactly that order, without SSSD should still
search all domains until a matching user or group is found, but the
order is not defined.

bye,
Sumit