Following through the troubleshooting guide and getting stuck on step 3.
https://docs.pagure.org/SSSD.sssd/users/troubleshooting.html#getent-passwd-or-id-doesn-t-print-the-user-or-getent-group-doesn-t-print-the-group-at-all

Absolutely no output occurs in the sssd log (good or bad) even with [nss]
debug_level=6. Running strace on getent I can confirm that the sss library is
getting loaded.

    open("/lib64/libnss_sss.so.2", O_RDONLY) = 3
    open("/lib64/libnss3.so", O_RDONLY)     = 3
    open("/lib64/libnssutil3.so", O_RDONLY) = 3

Looking in the sssd output I can see that the nss responder has started

    (Thu Oct 10 22:22:50 2019) [sssd[nss]] [sss_process_init] (0x0400):
Responder initialization complete (explicitly configured)

What other steps can be preformed to help debug this issue? We are using a
custom distribution with an older gcc/glibc toolchain with the following
configuration.

    ./configure \
    --with-smb-idmap-interface-version=6 \
    --without-selinux \