On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 3:21 AM Sumit Bose <sb...@redhat.com> wrote:

> unfortunately there are two different ways to encode Kerberos
> principals, one is the AD way with OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.311.20.2.3 the other
> is defined in RFC 4556 with 1.3.6.1.5.2.2.
>
> To be most flexible the mapping and matching rules provide for the
> AD encoding:
>
>   - <SAN:ntPrincipalName>.*@MY\.AD\.REALM
>   - userPrincipalName={subject_nt_principal}
>
> for RFC 4556:
>
>   - <SAN:pkinit>.*@MY\.PKINIT\.REALM
>   - userPrincipalName={subject_pkinit_principal}
>
> or if you do not know which encoding is used:
>
>   - <SAN:Principal>.*@MY\.REALM
>   - userPrincipalName={subject_principal}
>
> which cover both encodings.

Thanks; that's exactly the information I was looking for.

> I'm sorry, currently there are some copy-and-paste errors in the
> examples of the sss-certmap man page. I'll try to fix them in one of
> the next releases.

Yes, I noticed that.  If I have a chance, I'll submit a merge request
to clean up the documentation.

A related question: our AD guys are giving me no end of grief that the
RHEL7 sssd can't perform the certificate-to-user mapping
automatically.  Keeping everyone's userCertificate attribute updated
in AD is going to be a maintenance nightmare.  So, I think I'm going
to have to at least make an attempt to backport that feature to
ssd-1.16.4 for RHEL7.

How feasible do you think this is?  E.g.:

  1.  You should be able to drop that feature into 1.16.4 without too
      much effort.

  2.  It will be non-trivial, but doable.

  3.  That feature depends on numerous other code paths that didn't
      exist in 1.16.4; it will be extremely difficult to backport that
      feature to 1.16.4.

Alternatively, I could attempt to rebuild sssd-2.0.0-43.el8_0.3 for
RHEL7.  I tested that already, and the only thing I had to do to get
it to build was to comment out a few test packages that exist on RHEL8
but not on RHEL7.

But the problem with just building the RHEL8 sssd package for RHEL7 is
that I will have to track updates to RHEL8.  And a point release
(e.g., RHEL 8.2) could bring a newer sssd that no longer builds on
RHEL7.  So patching the certificate mapping feature into sssd 1.16.4
would be more future-proof.

(We have a support contract with Red Hat, but from past experience,
there is basically no chance Red Hat will undertake this backport for
a RHEL release that is already in maintenance support 1 phase.)

Thanks in advance for any advice.