On 2019-11-15 06:10, Sumit Bose wrote:

>>> Hi Sumit,
>>>
>>> I'm just after checking and you are correct! the ldap search through the
>>> Global Catalog does not return any POSIX attributes, we're going to apply
>>> this patch and see if the errors stop occurring. If this is the solution I
>>> owe you a drink (or 5).
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jamal
>>
>> Yep.  The docs say that all those POSIX attributes should be marked as
>> being part of the GC, which they aren't by default.  You need to use the
>> AD schema too to do that IIRC.
>>
>> I've also encountered issues with groups going missing, and in fact I'm
>> working such an issue now.  In our case, all the POSIX stuff is
>> replicated to the GC.  What happens is that the user's groups are fine
>> for a long time (8-10 hours), then either a single group vanishes, OR
>> all but their login group vanishes.  The only thing that brings it back
> Hi,
>
> are the group from the domain the client is joined to or from a
> different domain in the forest?
Same domain.

>> immediately is stopping SSSD, removing /var/lib/sssd/db/*, and
>> restarting it.  Then the groups will be back for that semi-random period.
>>
>> I had another case of this issue a few weeks ago.  But in this case it
>> turned out to be that there was an automated process on the AD that was
>> removing users from groups, then adding them back shortly after.  It
> Are the groups being removed as well during this process and then added
> back with the same name?

I'm not positive about that.  I presumed that the groups themselves were
being left in place and users were just being removed from the group
then re-added by an automated process.  But I'll inquire as to whether
this was a case.  I have doubts because the groups exist with the proper
gidNumber, which I don't believe these automated process handles.

> Can you share your sssd.conf?

    #
    # sssd.conf for SSSD versions which have the AD provider module
    # (preferred method)
    #
    [sssd]
    config_file_version = 2
    domains = {{ krb5_realm }}
    services = nss, pam, pac
    # remove PAC if it causes slow/failed login
    #services = nss, pam
    # uncomment for heavy debugging
    # debug_level = 0x37F0

    [nss]
    # in case home dir isn't defined in AD/ldap unixHomeDirectory
    fallback_homedir = /h/%u

    [pam]
    # debugging
    #pam_verbosity = 5
    # custom messages
    pam_account_expired_message = Account Expired
    pam_account_locked_message = Account Locked

    # domain section
    [domain/{{ krb5_realm }}]
    # uncomment for heavy debugging
    # debug_level = 0x37F0
    #ad_gpo_access_control = permissive
    # disabled, causes issues w/ some OSes
    ad_gpo_access_control = disabled

    # Use AD provider
    id_provider = ad
    access_provider = ad
    auth_provider = ad
    chpass_provider = ad
    ldap_id_mapping = False
    cache_credentials = True
    ldap_schema = ad

    # Search base
    ldap_search_base = dc=widgetco,dc=com
    # Speed up search with narrowed user search base if required
    #ldap_user_search_base = OU=Users,OU=Corp,DC=widgetco,DC=com
    ldap_user_object_class = user

    # Speed up search if required.  See sssd-ldap man page for how to
    # specify complex search bases with multiple bases, etc.
    # ldap_group_search_base = ou=users,dc=widgetco,dc=com
    ldap_group_object_class = group

    # Use AD unix attributes instead of generating UID/GID, etc
    ldap_id_mapping = False

    # where AD keeps these attributes
    ldap_user_name = sAMAccountName
    ldap_user_home_directory = unixHomeDirectory

    # expire policies
    ldap_access_order = expire
    ldap_account_expire_policy = ad
    ldap_force_upper_case_realm = True

    # specify only if needed (DNS SRV records used otherwise)
    #ad_server = dcwidgetcoprim.widgetco.com

    # Let DHCP client handle this
    dyndns_update = false

    # This greatly improves login speed, but getent group groupname
    won't show
    # group members (but group lookups for the OS still work).  It is
    basically
    # required for complex AD group schemas, or AD environments with LOTS of
    # groups.  It may be possible to turn it off if a group search base can
    # be devised which speeds thing up.  But if there were many many
    groups, we
    # still need it.
    ignore_group_members = true

> bye,