On (26/11/20 16:21), Tero Saarni wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm trying to run SSSD inside docker container without root user.  The
>container is executed in OpenShift cluster which does not allow running as root
>inside container.
>
>SSSD requires root and checks for this specifically.
>
>Is there any workaround for this?
>
>I believe the limitation is implemented for security reasons, in order to have
>most critical parts executed as root and have it drop privileges for other
>parts but this now completely blocks using SSSD in the above environment.

There is a way how to run sssd as non-root but /usr/sbin/sssd still require
bunch of linux capabilities to achieve that.

Here is the list: audit_write chown dac_override dac_read_search fowner
ipc_lock kill net_admin setgid setuid sys_admin sys_nice sys_resource

# sys_resource is optional and not needed with default configuration

And openshift unprivileged pod has jsut following capabilities
chown, dac_override, fowner, fsetid, setpcap, net_bind_service, net_raw,
sys_chroot, audit_write, setfcap

Folowing two are the most problematic: setgid setuid
but they are removed from default set in the openshift by default.

You would need to run sssd with differet security context than restricted
https://www.openshift.com/blog/introduction-to-security-contexts-and-sccs

HTH

LS