On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 5:05 AM Assaf Morami <assaf.mor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to turn off certificate matching against AD, and just
> use the username while taking the certificate directly from the
> smart card?

For sssd 2.1.0 and later, you should be able to use sss-certmap(5) to
accomplish this, yes.

But for sssd before 2.1.0, the *only* mechanism sssd has to map
smartcard certificates to user AD objects is userCertificate
searching.

> On my setup it's not feasible to attach certificates to user on AD,
> that's why I'm looking for a workaround.

If you cannot put certificates into the userCertificate field in AD,
the only work-around is to upgrade to sssd 2.1.0 or later.

(We briefly considered doing that on RHEL7, but quickly abandoned it
due to the effort involved.)