On Thu, Jul 7, 2022 at 6:21 AM Alexey Tikhonov <atikh...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 7, 2022 at 12:14 PM Fisher, Philip <phil.fis...@dxc.com> wrote:
>
> > In particular, if the provider is offline/not available (in this
> > case an AD server/servers) then login should fail.
>
> Sounds like `cache_credentials = false`? (see `man sssd.conf`)

Moreover, `cache_credentials = false` is the default, so unless this
is overridden, attempts to login will fail if the AD KDCs are not
available.

We can confirm that this is the case: we don’t override
cache_credentials, and if something breaks network connectivity for a
host, we can only login on the console with an account with a local
password (e.g. root); attempting to login with an account that
requires AD/Kerberos authentication fails.