On Wed, 2012-11-07 at 08:36 +0100, Greg KH wrote:

> > Great, thanks. I'm not really sure which one to apply, and if we apply
> > the 8877 one we'll also want to update the reg db (that you aren't
> > using). A lot of people are in Barcelona right now though, so that might
> > be a week or so until we can close this.
>
> I'm in Barcelona all this week, but a nice summary of what I'm supposed
> to do here for the stable tree would be great to have when ever you
> figure it out, don't wait for me to return, my email queues up just fine :)

Sure :)
So first of all, I'm sure (even without Eddie having tested it) that the
bug affects 3.7-rc as well, not just 3.6 stable, since the same patch
was applied there. Therefore, we're looking for a fix for that as well.

There are two possible fixes (that I can think of right now), both of
which Eddie tested.

One is a change to my old change, to make it only adhere to the
regulatory rules that the *driver* asked for, which will still fix the
iwlwifi problem of crashing the firmware in situations like Eddie's.
However, it's a bit strange to be ignoring our regulatory rules.

The other fix is a relaxation of the regulatory rules to allow 40 MHz
operation involving channels 12 and 13 (like in Eddie's setup, where
channel 9 HT40+ is used, which means the effective channel spans from
the bottom of channel 6 to the top of channel 13.) This seems like a
much cleaner solution, but the change needs to be done in two places
(both the kernel's idea of the "world roaming" regulatory domain, and
userspace's).

I prefer the second fix, but want to run it by somebody more familiar
with regulatory rules.

Ultimately, I'll apply either one for 3.7, and tag it with Cc stable.

johannes