On Tuesday 17 July 2007 03:46, Andreas Monitzer wrote:
> Accepting this data in any way would be the worst thing possible. It
> would bring XMPP one step closer to HTML, as already has happened
> with RSS (back when I wrote an RSS reader, I spent about 80-90% of
> the debugging time trying to parse some XML-like binary data).  This
> would make life hell for XMPP developers, and should be avoided at
> any cost.

As long as it's valid XML, things that get put in the stream that aren't
understood should be ignored anyway, that's how XML is supposed to work in
the first place.  Rejecting things like the DTD up-front is easy enough.
Ignoring comments and PIs comes free with the library.  So I'm not sure it's
hell.  What would be hell is if you needed to quote the " character outside
of attribute values.

Daniel