On Jul 30, 2007, at 4:07 PM, Tobias S. Josefowitz wrote:

On 7/31/07, Peter Saint-Andre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

How does the inclusion of STARTTLS negotiation cause the complete XML
stream to not be an XML document?

simplified:

echo
"<stream><startls/>FIWOEHFWEUIFH#*(WUFH(#*FDHPE*H([EMAIL PROTECTED](&@RH (@#*FH#@([EMAIL PROTECTED](#@
*R&[EMAIL PROTECTED]&@[EMAIL PROTECTED]@#)*$TH$#" | xmlwf
STDIN:1:59: not well-formed (invalid token)

You probably get the idea.

Not that I disagree that XMPP should be defined as a rational subset of XML, rather than including the whole spec, but... this seems to be needlessly splitting hairs, to me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the definition of XMPP is that you / restart the stream/ when you get an opening <stream> element (such as after starttls or whatever). Given that the stream starts over with the new <stream>, the complete XML stream is indeed still a complete and valid document.

(I assume that for the sake of sanity -- and given that at that point the /entire stream/ is encrypted -- we can assume that a stream would be decrypted before being validated.)

--
Rachel Blackman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>