Justin Karneges wrote:
> On Monday 06 August 2007 5:33 am, Alex Jones wrote:

>>> XEP-71 (XHTML-IM), offers a subset of XHTML markup suitable for IM.  This
>>> should be sufficient, don't you think?
>> No, for the reasons I specify in my text.
>
> XEP-71 is XHTML-IM, not XHTML.  It is a reduced set of markup meant for IM,
> with security in mind, and this is essentially what you are proposing.
>
> If your ideas have merit, then how about we apply them against XEP-71?  For
> example, if we don't want hyperlinks that trick you, we could require that
> all <a> hrefs have matching uri and child text in XEP-71.

IMHO that would be a good item to add to the security considerations in
XEP-0071.

I think XHTML-IM pretty much does what IMML does, but in a W3C-friendly
manner. If people want to support an even more reduced subset of XHTML
then I have no objections. I think clients can effectively do that via
XEP-0071. The baseline requirements are pretty minimal:

http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0071.html#profile-summary

If people want something even more minimal and texty, they could simply
use Textile or some other lightweight text formatting approach:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_lightweight_markup_languages

It seems that lots of Jabber clients already support things like *bold*
and /italic/ and _underline_ so perhaps that is enough...

/psa