On 27 Aug 2007, at 17:28, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
We had a long long discussion thread about this a few months ago, as a
result of which we modified rfc3920bis to recommend the use of random
resource identifiers that are generated by the server, not the client.

FWIW, I don't agree with the notion that these random resources are a good thing (I'd rather go back to the 'dark days' where we could infer meaning if we wanted to (albeit incorrectly, by rfc)).

I think the solution is simple though; if the server isn't routing your presence to someone, it should reply to iqs on your behalf saying you're not there. This is consistent with the route people have been suggesting recently (and I think I agree with) of 'if you want to start an X session with someone not on your roster, send directed presence first'.

/K