> So, while I think putting yourself in your own roster is confusing
> and perhaps silly, we should recognize that at least some users
> desire this behavior.

I guess it depends on your client whether or not it is silly. Psi
always has the ability to have a special self contact in the roster
(without physically adding it to the roster), and many people use it
all the time. It's handy when you have multiple connected resources:
you can see the status of the resources, execute remote controlling
commands on them, send messages to remind you of something when you
come home, ... Sure, you could have special code to do this, but with
a self contact, you can implement the same functionality for self
contacts as for other contacts transparently. And for clients that
don't have such a 'special' self contact, adding yourself to the
roster would give you that capability.

cheers,
Remko