Niklas Höglund wrote:
I'd like all my communication to be encrypted end-to-end, so I like
the development going on in the jabber community on that side. Voice
calls are also very useful, but from a quick look at the jabber XEPs I
can't see how these two features should interoperate.

How should this work?

The clients should negotiate an Encrypted Session first. Then the client should negotiate the Jingle Session. That protects the potentially sensitive information (e.g. IP addresses) that is exchanged during the Jingle negotiation. A note about this might usefully be added to the "5.1 Resource Determination" and/or "Security Considerations" sections of XEP-0166.

Note that this separation of layers enables the protocols to be used independently, however, the fact that the two negotiations are carried out simultaneously creates latency in the establishment of a call (something that AFAICT is an issue in the "Real World").

- Ian