I just thought, we could do something along the lines of Microformats, e.g:

Hello, <span rel="emoticon" title=":-)">:D</span>.

Where 'rel' signifies that it is an emoticon and 'title' is the parent of the emoticon (the fall-back). Seems to work pretty well and I don't think it will break existing clients...

Michal 'vorner' Vaner wrote:
Hello