2008/1/31, Michal 'vorner' Vaner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Hello
>
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 05:53:21PM -0800, Robert Quattlebaum wrote:
> > But the truth is that all of that complexity isn't even necessary, as long
> > as the XMPP client daemon can know where to route any individual stanza. If
> > there was some sort if information in all of the jingle stanzas which
> > identifies which jingle service it was intended for, then this problem is
> > solved. With that in place, individual processes can register for the
> > jingle stanzas related to them.
>
> Why couldn't it know now? If you are unable to filter/register by other
> criteries than just the namespace of toplevel child, then you will find
> problems elsewhere, too.

If you are saying that there can be stand-alone plugins for
audio/video/file transfer that don't use a common Jingle
service/plugin/whatever in the nested way, they should be friendly to
each other. At least, the session ids must not collide. A more tricky
case to handle is multiple session types in one session when more than
one plugin would be involved. I guess centralized handling of all
0166-level jingle would server fit better to that scenario.

Using some sort of IPC interface at some level is a needed unless it's
ok to run all whiteboarding/videoconference/IM/etc. in the same
application. There are many other options than the mentioned RPC:
pipes, sockets, files, signals, shared memory, messages, dbus,
depending on the operating system.

Anyway, the stricter the features are in their own namespaces, the
easier they go into plugins. As an exmple of a difficult feature in
this sense, XEP-0184 (message receipts) has it's own namespace, but
also uses id-attribute of jabber:client's message element. So if the
receipts would be implemented as a plugin on top of plain IM, it would
require more code than if the id would be inside urn:xmpp:receipts.

-lauri