With or without TLS enabled?

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: XMPP Extension Discussion List <standards@xmpp.org>
Sent: Thu Feb 14 14:52:55 2008
Subject: Re: [Standards]binary XML (was: Re: [jdev] Google Androïd SDK not XMPP
compliant ?)

We have tested XMPP (with zlib compression) over radio links (<9.6 kB) and
found that chat is not too bad. The biggest problem was the TCP connection and
SASL authentication (too many handshakes). It takes up to 3 minutes to
connect/reconnect which is not acceptable.

Cheers
Michael

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 8:30 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

        Alexander Gnauck wrote:
        > Fabio Forno schrieb:

        >> - compression is not as bad as I thought and if time to market is
        >> essential that's the only viable solution
        > see also my comments in the jdev thread, I think we should all hop one
        > one thread ;-)
        > http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/jdev/2008-February/026157.html
        >
        > I have done lots of mobile programming and tests in the past. And it
        > really performs very well. ZLib does not need much CPU and the
        > compression ratio with XMPP XML is amazing.

        IMHO we'll never get people to stop thinking that XML is verbose. It's
        one of those memes that will never go away.

        > When somebody wants to have this binary Xml, which I think is not a
bad
        > idea, then plug it into XEP-0138.

        Correct. Boyd Fletcher volunteered to write the small spec for this
        (basically just like XEP-0229 except defining the use of binary XML),
        but nothing has been submitted yet.

        Peter

        --
        Peter Saint-Andre