On Wed Feb 27 18:01:30 2008, Tony Finch wrote:
On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Dave Cridland wrote:

> I also have a fondness for modified strictly increasing timestamps, but > implementors need to appreciate that computer clocks go backwards, so they > need to remember to handle odd cases like that by "letting time catch up" - > just using a few ms later than the last timestamp until the real time is
> greater than the last timestamp.

Why not specify a monotonically increasing version counter instead of a
real time stamp?

They're a lot easier to specify, yes. Although you mean "strictly increasing", or possibly "strictly monotonically increasing", and not "monotically increasing". But I'm definitely not saying a real timestamp - I've tried to use the phrase "modified strictly increasing timestamps" to underline this.

It's the difference between IMAP's MODSEQ, and ACAP's modtime. ACAP's modtimes give the client slightly more information, whereas IMAP's MODSEQs are considerably easier to specify.

I'm basically happy with either, I think I'm just fond of ACAP-like stuff. :-)

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] - xmpp:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 - http://dave.cridland.net/