On Fri Apr  4 09:16:34 2008, Pedro Melo wrote:

On Apr 3, 2008, at 10:40 PM, Alexander Gnauck wrote:
Carlo v. Loesch schrieb:
Yes, that's why I started thinking about something better in 1990.
I understood there was no way for IRC to be 'fixed' because its design is fundamentally flawed. XMPP is only syntactically flawed, which is a much better starting point. And you can argue that's just my opinion. That's ok. Still IRC does multicast, and XMPP is still missing that, and Pedro is the kind of person who can see the impact of that each day.

I also see this impact. With the situation we have *today* I agree with Dave that we don't save much traffic and stanzas with repeaters. There is nearly no PubSub usage at all today, and in the most Muc rooms we have only 5-30 participants. If I look at the participants of jdev today than the most users have local jabber.org Jids, and max. 2 or 3 participants are on the same federated server. People join and leave, so there will be a tie between the stanzas we save in the repeater and the overhead to maintain the distribution list in the repeater.

A quick data-point: the largest pubsub node *right now*, has a bit over 73000 (73056 to be exact) subscribers, the top 3 are all above 72k. And this service is only for local users of the server.

To state the obvious (which I'm sure you know), nothing's going to help this case...

[OT] And yes, even now, with only local users, we see a bit spike in ejabberd when we have a new notification. This is a old version of ejabberd and we are using a component connection, I'm sure that if we move this to angie in 2.x we will improve a bit.

... unless you ran a repeater over the component link, of course, which might work. Or might not - but a component protocol might need this sort of thing.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] - xmpp:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 - http://dave.cridland.net/