Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Johannes Wagener has sent me version 0.0.4 of the IO DATA proposal:
>
> http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/io-data.html

I'm not sure if I understand this correctly. On

| <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#info'
|       node='get_threedimensionalcoordinates'/>

the node is basically the command to execute, the function call when
speaking of an API. Each function service.university.example.org
supports is a node on its own, right? And to get a list of all
possible commands I have to call query for disco#items.

And making it even more complex, service.university.example.org could
provide a lot of functions. In that case subnodes could be used. I'm
thinking here of a set-top box providing support for remote playback
and recording, each services with many functions. I guess that would
be two nodes, each with the functions as subnode.

Now my problem: XEP-0115 can't help me to discover what services are
provided. I have to crawl through the complete tree to find out what
functions it has. Even worse, if a service is added I will never know
without re-crawling everything.

Or am I thinking too complex here and IO-Data should not be used in
such a scenario? The alternative would be that profiles like remote
playback and recording would be used without IO-Data, maybe as XEP.

Dirk

--
Time flies... after you hit the snooze button.