On 06/14/2008 11:09 AM, Michael Laukner wrote:
> Peter,
> We may not underestimate the importance of logging when talking about
> the use of XMPP in an enterprise environment. Being able to have
> logging of chat conversation is one of the biggest advantages of MUC
> (besides the security features). Most of our rooms persist and room
> names never change. The log is treated like meeting minutes, published
> and stored in an archive.

Oh yes, I know -- we do that for some rooms at conference.jabber.org.
And some organizations even require such logging for compliance purposes
(SEC / HIPAA, etc.).

> I agree with Boyd, the current version of XEP-45 considers logging
> (7.1.14 Room Logging) from a user's privacy perspective but not as an
> enterprise conferencing feature.

Typically it is considered as an enterprise conferencing feature by
people who sell commercial XMPP servers, and by people who administer
certain kinds of MUC services. And I'm one of the latter.

> We have the same problem; currently we are doing it outside XMPP
> (using direct SQL statements to backup and archive logs) because
> nothing seem to exist in
> XEP-0045: Multi-User Chat
> XEP-0241: Encryption of Archived Messages
> XEP-0136: Message Archiving

What features do people need here? And who are the actors? Right now,
XEP-0045 addresses uses cases for end users and room admins, but not
service admins. I could see the following use cases for MUC service
admins in relation to logs:

1. Edit log
2. Delete log
3. Disable logging

The clear room history feature doesn't really have an impact on logging
(it just clears the in-memory cache of what's shown to people who join
the room). So perhaps it's something that a room admin does, not
something that a service admin does.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre