Justin Karneges wrote:
Dragging this over from jdev:

Hmm. XMPP is not optimized for sending around 100k+ messages.
Would 64KB chunks a reasonable thing to do?
That's probably still too high.  There is currently no specified maximum
size for XMPP stanzas, but individual implementations may enforce different
values.  The original jabberd 1.0 server had around a 10KB maximum.  The
general consensus is that stanzas should be "small", and this is largely in
part because large stanzas block transmission of other stanzas (you cannot
send many stanzas in parallel over one stream).

Right now it's fuzzy as to how small you should chunk your data for maximum compatibility. I think we should define the largest stanza size that must be supported by clients and servers. We could just make this value 10000 bytes, from the opening '<' to the final '>' of the stanza. The text should go into RFC 3920bis as a SHOULD.

This way, stanzas 10000 bytes or smaller are guaranteed to succeed in transmission. Stanzas larger than 10000 bytes would still be transmittable, but without any guarantees that the other side will accept it (which is not any worse than the situation today).

A question: which stanza error are we supposed to use to reject a stanza that is too large? Such an error would be very useful to determine the MTU.

http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/stanzalimits.html

We never published that, though...

/psa