> Now due to the offline message, they BOTH think the other end doesn't
> support XEP-85 and chat state notifications are never used. I already
> triggered that several times in Gajim.

This particular problem is solved by *always* sending <active/> in our
messages. It's not 100% clear whether this is breaking the spec of
'not sending chat state notifications when the initial message didn't
have <active/>', but it's the easiest solution for this offline
message problem, for contacts changing resources, ...

> Solution: Caps, it's already in the XEP. But sadly, no client determines
> support via caps.

Hmm, I always thought Psi did, but it seems I removed that. I think it
was because of a discussion on whether or not it was acceptable (from
the user's POV) to send composing events before the initial message.
Some found this scary, and I didn't have the time to implement
delaying sending composing events until the next message.

Btw, what's the general opinion on sending 'composing' events before
the initial message? I know some other protocol clients like aMSN pop
up windows whenever a user starts typing, which some consider a
privacy problem.

But I agree that caps should be preferred over the old method.

cheers,
Remko