On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 5:24 PM, Jeff Muller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> when creating a namespace, is the preferred format "urn:xxx:yyy..." or is
> it "http://mycompany.com/whatever";? Just wondering what would be best to
> use for my own intermal, experimental namespaces.
>
> Jeff
>
> Well, I believe that you have to be a namespace registrar in order to use
urn: namespaces.  Generally people use http://their-domain/whatever because
a) it's nearly guaranteed to be unique and b) it denotes ownership for the
namespace.  The XSF is a namespace registrar now, but they weren't
originally.  Also, the early spec writers didn't understand namespace
authority until jabber:client, jabber:server, and jabber:iq had been
established.  This has all been grandfathered into the final spec, but if
there were an XMPP 2.0, I would expect that to be cleaned up.