On Dec 16, 2008, at 9:27 AM, Remko Tronçon wrote:

Is this behavior that you are describing defined anywhere? This sounds like completely new behavior. It also sounds like it would be significantly more work to implement than what I am describing, considering how complex privacy
lists are.

I haven't checked whether this is described somewhere, but I agree
with Justin that this is not the client's job.  (given that it's not
the client's job to filter in the first place, nor to request any type
of presence anytime without blocking rules).

Well, that would be great if it could be widely adopted.

Do you think such an addition should be made to the privacy list spec?

How can it be more complex for the server to do a presence probe in
the place of the client, instead of the client having to do it itself?

Because the server would have to add logic to parse the privacy lists to determine when it is moving from a list which doesn't allow incoming presence to a list which does. Not hugely complex, but not trivial...

Although perhaps a trivial implementation of *always* doing a probe when the privacy list changes isn't a horrible idea.

Robert Quattlebaum
Jabber: da...@deepdarc.com
eMail:  da...@deepdarc.com
www:    http://www.deepdarc.com/