On Sunday 08 February 2009 16:26:24 Robin Redeker wrote:
> I was reminded of the concept of rpc.statd by a friend: It's there to
> inform other NFS server about unclean restarts.
>
> So, in XMPP that would be: A server telling the other server that he would
> love to receive a message when the other server restarts/crashed. Then the
> servers that receive that notice could send presence probes again for the
> contacts on the server that restarts.

This is an interesting idea.  It's not a replacement for periodic probing,
because there's no guarantee the crashed server will come back in a timely
manner, if at all.  But, crash reporting could speed up the resync process.

I think this could already be done today by keeping a list of presences you
have sent out, and upon restart just connect to all of the servers and send
unavailable presences.  There's probably major optimization potential here
with XEP-198.

-Justin