> On 4/21/09 7:07 AM, Dave Cridland wrote:
>
>> 3) We borrow text from RFC 4551, which has IPR implications.
>
> I think that we borrow a concept from 4551 but perhaps not exact text.
> I'll check on that.

RFC 4551 defines CONDSTORE as follows:

   An IMAP server that supports this extension MUST associate a positive
   unsigned 64-bit value called a modification sequence (mod-sequence)
   with every IMAP message.  This is an opaque value updated by the
   server whenever a metadata item is modified.  The server MUST
   guarantee that each STORE command performed on the same mailbox
   (including simultaneous stores to different metadata items from
   different connections) will get a different mod-sequence value.
   Also, for any two successful STORE operations performed in the same
   session on the same mailbox, the mod-sequence of the second completed
   operation MUST be greater than the mod-sequence of the first
   completed.  Note that the latter rule disallows the use of the system
   clock as a mod-sequence, because if system time changes (e.g., an NTP
   [NTP] client adjusting the time), the next generated value might be
   less than the previous one.

XEP-0237 defines 'ver' as follows:

   The 'ver' attribute is a strictly increasing sequence number that
   is increased (but not necessarily incremented-by-one) with any
   modification to the roster data. The value of the attribute MUST be
   a non-negative 64-bit integer, MUST be changed only by the server,
   and MUST be treated by the client as opaque. The server MUST ensure
   that each change to the roster data will result in a different
   sequence number and that the sequence number associated with a given
   roster modification will be greater than the sequence number
   associated with any previous roster modification. (Note: This rule
   effectively disallows the use of the system clock as a sequence
   number, since if the system time changes, e.g. because of an
   adjustment based on an NTP update (see RFC 958 [4]), the next
   generated value might be less than the previous one.)

The borrowed text (as opposed to reformulated concept) is the
informational note about the the definition of 'ver' disallowing the use
of the system clock as a sequence number. I'd be just as happy to remove
that note entirely or to reword it in order to avoid any possible IPR
issues.

On a separate note, the phrase "any previous roster modification" might
be problematic (what if the server needs to reset the sequence number
back to zero?). I propose that we change it to "any previous roster
modification for this session" (where the definition of a session is
borrowed from RFC 3921 / rfc3921bis).

Peter

- --
Peter Saint-Andre