Am 23.04.2009 um 20:13 schrieb Peter Saint-Andre:
His argument was that the server might make the 'ver' attribute
something like a hash of the roster, which would be opaque to the client
but meaningful to the server so that it could figure out if it would
return an empty IQ-result or the full roster (leaving aside the roster
push for now). That seems like a perfectly acceptable approach to me as
a minimal implementation, so I'm wondering if we want to say that the
'ver' value needs to be opaque to the user but meaningful to the server,
and that one possible implementation is a strictly increasing sequence
number.

If the ver attribute is some kind of a hash of the roster, a additional feature could be added, to inform the client which method was used to generate the hash. So the client can check the current roster. This way corrupted rosters can be detected and no user interaction is required.

Christoph