You should probably re-read the spec: all the fields are optional.  You
can also provide a time, a uri and you have text and description fields
at your disposition if the other ones are too restrictive.

true you can provide a time and a uri, but neither are documented with any intent to BE a location. They are strictly ancillary data. I guess they could be kludged to represent the wrong thing in a closed private system but that doesnt sound like a good idea.

I understand that this was strictly designed with Earth locations in
mind though. :)

indeed - this is also a problem. the spec should take into account non Earth based locations, as well as virtual locations (in virtual online worlds, and websites etc), or custom concepts of location. Basically anything modern English useage allows us to say we are somewhere - see u on myspace/facebook/someBarInSecondLife etc.

Cheers.

Pierre-Luc