On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 6:45 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpe...@stpeter.im>wrote:

> Primarily, zero-length categories and types are useless in service
> discovery. So I think that we need to change the disco spec itself
> anyway. I am *not* saying that this modification would fix all security
> problems in XEP-0115.

That's fine then.

> > In its current form, the hashing function always succeeds for any given
> > non-null input. This is desirable because it simplifies implementations,
> > and is exactly the same as popular hashing functions (MD5, SHA, etc).
> > Specifying minimum lengths is fine, but is there a reason for receiving
> > implementations to actually enforce these limits?
>
> Because zero-length categories and types are useless.

Sure, but I see no point in implementations actually _failing_ on receiving
them. If my code works correctly with valid implementations, and my code can
also work with some broken implementations, I don't see much reason to add
extra validation code just to stop working with broken
implementations (unless Prosody is running in strict mode of course ;) ).

--
Waqas Hussain