Matthew Wild wrote:
You could include this tag in your presence to MUC rooms for example,
and the server would automatically send the MUCs your new presence
when it changes - currently this is sent individually to each MUC room
by the clients (ick.). Though MUCs want only the presence of a single
resource (not all, like Jingle does), hmm.

Downsides are that this requires server support, especially thinking
of e.g. gmail.com here. Probably other things I'm missing too.

again this just makes me sure that XMPP as it stands is far too client centric, and needs to become properly extensible from the serverside too. there should be a way for server extensions to do what clients can. (I know thats not what you were suggesting here, but it might make implementing such things easier)