Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> On 2/13/10 1:42 PM, Waqas Hussain wrote:
>> Guus der Kinderen
>> <http://jabber.markmail.org/message/kihf36azo2kvmczf?q=guus> pointed out
>> some problems in XEP-0106 in the JDev chatroom.
>>
>> Section 1. of the XEP lists nine code points which are forbidden in a
>> node identifier. The character '\' is not in that list, and is used as
>> the escape character in the algorithms described in the XEP.
>>
>> Section 4.3 states:
>>
>>     "In order to maintain as much backward compatibility as possible,
>>     partial escape sequences and escape sequences corresponding to
>>     characters not on the list of disallowed characters MUST be ignored."
>
> EXCEPT as described under the business rules. There is a special case
> for '\5c'.
>
>> The sequence '\5c' (corresponding to the character '\') as input to the
>> escaping algorithm needs to be escaped. But it isn't a partial escape
>> sequence, and it doesn't correspond to a disallowed character, so the
>> above text dictates that it not be escaped.
>
> Please read the text in context.
>
>> This breaks the algorithm.
>
> There is a special case.

As I was part of the JDev discussion waqas mentioned and brought this
one up: There is of course a special case, our point is just that the
XEP is contradicting itself as is right now. Therefore section 4.3
should be changed.

> The first paragraph of section 4.3 currently reads:
>
> In order to maintain as much backward compatibility as possible, partial
> escape sequences and escape sequences corresponding to characters not on
> the list of disallowed characters MUST be ignored.
>
> Instead it should read:
>
> In order to maintain as much backward compatibility as possible, partial
> escape sequences and escape sequences corresponding to characters not on
> the list of disallowed characters MUST be ignored (with the exception of
> the escaping character '\' itself when the source address includes the
> sequence '\5c').

That would be a welcome change. To be very clear it should probably
state that not only does '\' need to be escaped, but also '\5c' needs to
be unescaped. (The examples in this section all refer to escaping AND
unescaping transformations, so this seems a necessary nitpick to me).

Florob