On Tue Jun 29 21:12:46 2010, Paul Aurich wrote:
A few comments about hash algorithms (basing off my reading the Jingle FT spec [0] just now and a discussion the Pidgin devs had a few months ago, which I don't think was brought up in the XMPP community, though I
might have missed it).

1) Are there canonical text representations of hash algorithm names some place? i.e. other than it being the one described in the Bits of Binary
[1] spec, how do I know that I should use 'sha1' instead of 'sha-1'?

Even worse, I just checked Entity Capabilities [2] and it uses "sha-1"
as the name of the algorithm!!! :(

There's an IANA registry, which we've generally used in recent protocols:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/hash-function-text-names/hash-function-text-names.xhtml

Slightly awkwardly, this relates to X.509 defined hashes, so would be tricky to update, but an IETF standards action could probably change that if needs be. (And would have support, I think).

5) Should the XSF adopt hash-function recommendations and standards for all future specs? I'm thinking standardized names (*cough* #1 *cough*)
as well as MTI recommendations (perhaps choosing SHA-256, as NIST
recommends [3]).

There's several uses for hash algorithms - some use-cases demand that a preimage attack be impossible, some don't, for example. The safest option for us is to pick a single algorithm - this also has the advantage of simplifying implementation requirements.

I've said before in IETF-land that a single spec of "this is the sane MTI security algorithm" would be useful. Perhaps the XSF could show them how it's done.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:d...@cridland.net - xmpp:d...@dave.cridland.net
 - http://dave.cridland.net/