On Mar 16, 2011, at 11:54 , Mark Rejhon wrote:

> On a related note, are there situations where messsages is type="chat"
> but does NOT contain a <body>?  I couldn't find a guideline relating
> to this, as this is also relevant to my work-in-progress.

CSN (XEP-0082) is the most common case where we have a <message type='chat'/>
with no <body/>.  Another is likely to be whatever encryption paradigm we
standardize.

RFC 3921bis briefly talks about what a "chat session" is, but does not mandate
(or suggest, or preclude) every <message type='chat'/> include a <body/>.

- m&m