> We thought like you before, but we had to listen to our users.

I wasn't saying you shouldn't put limits in your implementation; i was
just saying i wouldn't put it in the protocol: not every XMPP
application works like yours. Hence the recommendation.

> How can we prevent this? (because we must prevent this... do you disagree?)

You don't. You just say "This message has been edited", and assume
people will not do silly things like this :-)  Some clients can be
smart and strike out parts of a conversation and replace them with
other parts; it would be quite obvious that the message has changed in
significant ways.

Or, if you feel like a limitation is the only way of solving the
problem, put in a limitation. Just don't force limits upon clients
that can do fine without them.

cheers,
Remko