I’m taking a closer look at this XEP because I’m wanting to write an XEP using Collection Nodes, and I have a question:

Why are Collection nodes not allowed to contain items? I see many use-cases for it and it doesn’t really introduce any additional complexity: by doing a disco#items query on a collection node the service would just return all the children nodes AND items. Items and nodes can easily be distinguished by looking at the presence or not of the “node” attribute in each item elements returned.

This would allow a lot of nice possibilities, like a graph of messages (similar to a newsgroup message thread, with any level of depth).

Is there a reason why it is not allowed in the current state of the XEP?

--
Florent Le Coz