On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 7:20 PM, Artur Hefczyc <artur.hefc...@tigase.org> wrote:

> On Dec 24, 2011, at 10:32 AM, Kim Alvefur wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2011-12-23 at 20:01 -0800, Artur Hefczyc wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I frequently switch IM client running on different devices (mobile, laptop,
>>> ....) and I would
>>> love to have a feature to continue last chat with some recent chat messages
>>> displayed
>>> on a new device. I have an idea how to implement it in the Tigase server
>>> and our mobile
>>> client (described below) and I was wondering if there is any XEP which
>>> could aid in this
>>> task from the protocol side.
>> XEP-0280: Message Carbons is also meant for this use case.
>>
>>> The idea is following:
>>>
>>> 1. User chats with a friend on one device
>>> 2. Server records and remembers somehow last chats (by thread id for
>>> example)
>>> 3. User switched devices and opens chat window with a friend in the second
>>> client
>>> 4. The client requests from the server last chat with this friend (we could
>>> add some
>>> parameters here, like last chat not older than 10 minutes for example)
>>> 5. If there is no chat history the server returns an empty list, otherwise
>>> the server
>>> returns a list of chat messages
>>> 6. The client displays messages received from the server and allows the
>>> user to
>>> continue conversation.
>>
>> The difference being that with Carbons you opt in to receiving all
>> messages as they are sent.
>
> This does not solve the problem really. It causes a few problems:
> 1. First, when I talk on a desktop client I do not really want my battery
> drained on mobile
> with constant messages sent to my mobile client.
> 2. It does not solve a problem in case when my mobile/desktop client is not
> running during
> the chat and then I want to switch device and start a new client.
>
> I think a simple XEP specifying: send me my chat history for the last thread
> would be good enough
> and would solve both above cases.

Right, I started idly working on a spec for this, just to tie together
the various bits we already have (or almost have).

I wouldn't recommend using 136 for this, but MattJ's 136 replacement
is a reasonable way to do the bit you describe here - just say "Get me
the last hour's conversation" or whatever. I should clean this up and
submit it once the new archiving XEP's ready.

Carbons also has a place in the overall solution, I think - but mostly
on the desktop side so your desktop has a complete record of what's
going on.

/K

/K