On Jan 12, 2012, at 02:56, Sergey Dobrov wrote:

> On 01/12/2012 03:57 PM, Marcus Lundblad wrote:
>> tor 2012-01-12 klockan 15:47 +0700 skrev Sergey Dobrov:
>>> Hello, I am reading the XEP-96 and see in the requirements section:
>>> "Enable seamless file transfer, including fall-back mechanisms as
>>> appropriate", then I see that socks5 and IBB are must be implemented in
>>> a XEP-96 compatible implementation. Ok, we can try to use socks5 and if
>>> it fail we will fallback to ibb and then we will guaranteed done with
>>> our transfer. But where is described HOW this fallback should be
>>> negotiated? The flow:
>>>
>>> 1. SI Request. We are must to include both socks5 and IBB as our
>>> stream-methods.
>>> 2. SI Response will always reply with socks5 because it must support
>>> both of protocols and socks5 is with high priority.
>>> 3. SOCKS5 is failed to establish a stream.
>>> 4. What we have to do next? Send again a SI request with only IBB
>>> included as our stream-methods? Should the recipient to ask again about
>>> the file transfer? How should it determine that it should not, if it's
>>> not? That's really unclear with the current XEP.
>>>
>>> The second thing is: maybe we should to remove the requirement to
>>> support both socks5 and ibb? Because it's not carried out de-facto by
>>> several implementations and not each platform can easily implement both
>>> bytestreams.
>>>

>> You should probably use JingleFT if you're implementing something new
>> today. Hopefully it will gain more popularity.
>> With Jingle this scenario is covered.
>> If you want to implement SI transfer as well (to maintain legacy
>> compatibility) you might do like you described above. There's also some
>> extension to SI that is used by telepathy to handle the fallback
>> scenario.
>
> I am familiar with the JingleFT specification and I like it but the
> thing is that I need some specification that can be used right now to
> make it possible to inter operate with majority of clients. The
> situation with file transfer now is not the best and I don't think that
> it's a good choice now to force the transition to another specification.
>
> Despite of everything, the standard has a fallback mechanism in it's
> requirements. But I can't find it. And I can't decide how to implement
> the XEP right at all. Should it be fixed? I think, yes. It should be
> fixed or marked as obsolete.

The fallback mechanisms for SI:FT were never codified.  I think there are
implementations that tried to do something, but they barely interoperate with
themselves.

At this point, I'd rather focus protocol effort on improving JingleFT.
However, marking SI:FT as Deprecated before JingleFT is Draft is a mistake.

- m&m
<http://goo.gl/LK55L>