On Thu Mar  1 22:28:57 2012, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
FYI, there's discussion happening on the SIMPLE WG list about
internationalization of nicknames in chatrooms. There might be value in pursuing a common approach. Please follow up on the sim...@ietf.org list:

I've long since dropped off the simple list, but feel free to forward this note as appropriate - I'm mostly raising this point now since it happens to have come up.

I do think our use of resourceprep is often a little silly.

Consider:

1) Actual resource parts are basically opaque identifiers, and comparing them as octet strings without normalization would (and, as far as I can tell, does) work just fine. If people are actually typing these things in - where you'd need resourceprep to normalize - then they're probably doing something wrong.

2) When they're used as chatroom nicknames, on the other hand, resourceprep is nothing like enough.

As things stand, if a user joins as "dwd", another can join as "Dwd" - which is mildly confusing - or "dwd " - which is downright nasty. I think it would be sensible for a XEP-0045 implementation to reject (with a conflict) or change (by adding "~1" or similar) the nickname in these cases.

Arguably, the ability to closely mimic other chatroom occupants without even recourse to Cherokee is a security flaw in XEP-0045, but luckily it's not one that requires a single interoperable solution - the key is that an implementation should be able to normalize (or rationalize, if you prefer) nicknames in any way it sees fit, by overriding the nickname on join (or change).

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:d...@cridland.net - xmpp:d...@dave.cridland.net
 - http://dave.cridland.net/