Subject: Protocol Action: 'Deprecating the X- Prefix and Similar
Constructs in Application Protocols' to Best Current Practice
(draft-ietf-appsawg-xdash-05.txt)
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 11:16:53 -0700
From: The IESG <iesg-secret...@ietf.org>
To: IETF-Announce <ietf-annou...@ietf.org>
CC: RFC Editor <rfc-edi...@rfc-editor.org>

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Deprecating the X- Prefix and Similar Constructs in Application
   Protocols'
  (draft-ietf-appsawg-xdash-05.txt) as Best Current Practice

This document is the product of the Applications Area Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Pete Resnick and Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-xdash/

   Technical Summary

Historically, designers and implementers of application protocols
have often distinguished between "standard" and "non-standard"
parameters by prefixing the latter with the string "X-" or similar
constructions.  In practice, this convention causes more problems
than it solves.  Therefore, this document deprecates the "X-"
convention for newly defined textual parameters in application
protocols.

   Working Group Summary

The WG discussed the scope of the document, in particular if it
intends to change any existing IANA registries which use "X-"
namespace (or similar) and whether it applies to registries that
use numeric values. As per WG discussion, the answer to both
questions above is "no" and the document was clarified to reflect
that.

   Document Quality

The document doesn't define a protocol. At least 1 specification already
voluntarily conforms to the recommendations specified in the document.

Personnel

Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melni...@isode.com> is the document shepherd.
Pete Resnick <presn...@qualcomm.com> is the cognizant AD.