We heavily use XEP-0114 (Jabber Components).  This is currently only historical
and not actually a standards track.  I wanted to check if anyone knows why this
is and I wanted to check if there is any movement related to updated the
specification to support TLS and SASL.  I don't see why the component and
server couldn't exchange features to determine is TLS is supported and what
sasl mechanisms are.

The one big thing I can think of is that current servers wouldn't support any
direct changes so either a separate extension would need to be written to
provide this updated version, so as not to break with current implementations,
or the process would need to be more manual and not rely on the server doing
some things automatically.

I am curious what peoples thoughts are on this or if anyone has already started
looking in to this.  As I said, we use components often and having them be
secured is becoming more and more an issue.

Thanks,
Todd