On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 4:39 PM, Mark Rejhon <marky...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpe...@stpeter.im>wrote:
>
>> > I'm aware.  We'd like to finish the current queue of
>> > corrections/improvements (several of which have been queued up since
>> > April) so one more big review cycle is very much appreciated before Last
>> > Call.
>> > Then after the next update, that's when we'd like to proceed with Last
>> Call.
>>
>> OK. What's your timeline for the next big review cycle? That will help
>> folks plan their time.
>>

> Immediate.  Current version of spec.
> Goal is to provide an update by end of this month, and then afterwards
> request a Last Call.

The reason of this sudden urgency is because of incoming inquiries about
including XEP-0301 within government accessibility regulations from both
Europe and America.  Pertinent background information, provided by Gunnar
Helstrom:
_____________

Yes, having XEP-0301 move to draft status would be a good move now to be
able to reference it.

We have a *European standard* on the way for accessible public procurement,
similar to the american. We are just forming the version of it that will go
for member voting in August. We have made a structure for real-time text
requirements where XEP-0301 would fit in and be referenced, but we cannot
do it now when XEP-0301 is just experimental. We will see if there will be
a chance to get it in.

For the *American*, the web [U.S. Access Board -
www.access-board.gov] about the Section 255 - 508 refresh says about the
procedure, with a comment period that ended in March this year: "The Board
will follow-up with a proposed rule based on the input received that will
provide an additional round of comment before the rule is finalized."  That
has not happened yet, so there is likely time to make an effort to  be
mentioned in that regulation.

The cycle seems to be about 10- 15 years.

_____________

Thus, we urgently need to upgrade XEP-0301 to draft as soon as possible, to
get a better chance of having XMPP (XEP-0301) being included in
governmental disability/accessibility documents. (More deaf people are
using XMPP instead of TTY or TDD, after all!).  *Otherwise, we lose the
opportunity for about 10 to 15 years.*

The standard is already ready except for the queued corrections (of the
last few weeks) that I now will finish adding to the document with, but I
want everyone else to review immediately if possible and submit their
corrections :-)

The goal is:
*Deadline June 28-29: Last corrections submitted (before the Last Call
request)*
Early July: Publishing of XEP-0301 version 0.3
Immediately After: Request a Last Call and begin the process

So all of you have approximately 4-5 business days to submit last
corrections before Last Call.  :-)

Thanks
Mark Rejhon
Author of XEP-0301