On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 1:08 PM, Kevin Smith <ke...@kismith.co.uk> wrote:

> > You missed the message where a vendor told me they would put it in a
> Privacy
> > preference setting, and have it off by default.   (while still enabling
> an
> > audio/video button by default)   So this is a real issue!   This
> > accessibility concern needs to be clarified.
>
> Have /what/ off by default? I strongly support /sending/ RTT being
> disabled by default (although we're not in the business of telling
> people how to craft their UX). By default hiding that someone is
> sending you RTT is just strange. I don't understand why someone would
> do this. You're right that I missed the message where this happened -
> which thread was it in? Some context might help here.

Are you confusing the word "off"?
-- "off" meaning "stop sending <rtt/>, stop displaying incoming <rtt/>"
(CORRECT)
*VERSUS*
-- "off" meaning stop advertising the existence of XEP-0301 according to
Section 5   (WRONG)

The vendor was implying "off" meant "completely off", in
Settings/Preferences/Privacy means stops advertising XEP-0301 in Section 5.
 We need to clarify section 5 to say that it is not acceptable to stop
advertising XEP-0301 if you are advertising the existence of other
interactive conversational modes (i.e. audio/video) ....

An "off" feature SHOULD mean "stop sending <rtt/>, stop displaying incoming
<rtt/>" .... INSTEAD of stopping advertising support of RTT in Section
5... It is acceptable to transmit <rtt event='cancel'/> to tell the other
side to stop transmitting real-time text.

It's like letting incoming voice call attempts ring-through,
and preventing incoming text/TTY calls attempts from ringing at all.
So that's an accessibility issue when you completely turn "off" via
advertising Section 5.

Mark Rejhon