On 2012-07-21 04:55, Mark Rejhon wrote:
On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 9:33 PM, XMPP Extensions Editor <edi...@xmpp.org <mailto:edi...@xmpp.org>> wrote:

    Version 0.4 of XEP-0301 (In-Band Real Time Text) has been released.
    Abstract: This is a specification for real-time text transmitted
    in-band over an XMPP session.
    Changelog: Spelling, grammar, and clarification edits, including
    section clarifications recommended from public discussion. Interop
    with XEP-0308 message correction. (MDR)
    Diff: http://xmpp.org/extensions/diff/api/xep/0301/diff/0.3/vs/0.4

I would appreciate opinions about announcing LAST CALL, for this specification.
Thank you so much, everyone!

Mark Rejhon

Mark,
That was a huge amount of edits.
Luckily, very few of them affect protocol, so my judgement is still that the specification is mature and can go for Last Call if the XEP management so decides.

However, I sent a bunch of edit hints on July 9, and see none of them applied. I would like to see them applied or commented why they should not be applied.

Here they are in their original form, relating to version 0.3.

These are my observations and propsals:

1. Chapter 1, last line: Move last sentence first. And make an empty line after it. Now it takes the whole chapter before we get to know what the specification is about.

2. Chapter 1, last bullet point. Change to: " As one medium in Total Conversation, e.g. deployed in the European project REACH112 [5] for accessible communication and emergency service." Motivation: ( Total conversation was the theme. It was about both person-to-person and emergency service)

3. Section 2.1, point 4. add "and replication" after "transmission". ( just transmission is not sufficient for the intended effect.)

4. Section 2.2, point 3. change "traversal protocols" to "traversal mechanisms", because they are more mechanisms than protocols.

5. Section 2.4, Title. Change to "Usable for mainstream and accessibility purposes."

6. Section 2.4, point 1. Change word "accessibility" to "service description". Because F.703 is a general standard. The total conversation part is of accessibility interest.

7. Chapter 3, Real-time text. Change "in real time" to "instantly" , to match definition in chapter 1.

8. Chapter 3, Add "JID" and its explanation.

9. Section 4.1, second line. Add "client" after "sender", to make it clear that the user dies not need to bother about transmission.

10. Section 4.1 Second paragraph. Change word "live" to "in real-time" to be consistent.

11. Section 4.1, Example 1, Line 9 , make the text part "my Ju" , so that it is obvious that it is not about word by word transmission.

12. Section 4.1, Example 1, Line 15 , make the text part "liet" only, so that it is obvious that it is not about word by word transmission.

13. Section 4.2.2 event='new' third line. change "display, and then process" to "reception, and then process text and" . Because we must not assume that all applications display the text. "

14. Section 4.2.2 event='cancel'. How does this behave through multi-user chat and multiple login situations? Is the event='cancel' sent through to all? I see a risk that one user sending event='cancel' would turn off rtt for all recipients. If this is true, I see three solutions: a) Delete event='cancel'. b) Add a sentence saying "event='cancel' SHALL not be used in a MUC or multi-login session. c) Add a sentence saying "event='cancel' SHOULD be ignored in MUC and multi-login sessions. I have a slight preference for solution a), to delete cancel from the specification. If it is deleted, also the sections in 6.2.1 and 6.2.2 dealing with "cancel" shall be deleted.

15. Section 4.4, line 3, after "F.700" insert "usability requirement section A.3.2.1" so that the reader understands why this requirement exists and where to find it.

16. Section 4.4, line 3, after "conversation", add "in most network conditions". On GPRS, having 1.5 s network latency, the usability requirement will not be met, and that must be accepted. ( F.700 requires 2 seconds end-to-end for usable real-time text and 1 second for good real-time text. )

17. Section 4.5, last word. Replace "delivered" with "completed" .

18. Consider deleting the "Forward Delete" d action element. It cannot be used with the default value for p because that would point outside the real-time message. Therefore, a p must always be calculated and included. Then it is equal in complexity to use it as Backspace. Having both just seem to add complexity to implementations. ( It would have been different and of value if it worked from a current cursor position.) But if you have good reasons, e.g. easily matching some editing operation result, you can keep it.

19. Section 4.5.2, third bullet point. I would like to see the words "Unicode Code Points" replace "Unicode Character Counting". Code points is the safe base that we count.

20. Section 4.5.4.1 At the end, insert paragraph: "Characters consisting of multiple Unicode code points SHOULD be sent together in the same <t/> element. Values of /*p*/ and /*n*/ SHOULD NOT result in pointing within such combinations of code points." ( this is to avoid the situations described with the long note to section 4.5.4.2. The actions to avoid it should be more on the sender side as I propose here.

21. Section 4.5.4.2 First paragraph, line 3. Delete the sentence starting "In an ideal....". There are different standard Unicode normalizations, so a receiver normalizing received Unicode that was normalized by the sender may result in change of Unicode. This does not matter and the sentence was just an effort to explain.

22. Section 4.5.4.2 First paragraph, third line from end: after "message" insert "used" for explanation why an internal copy is kept.

23. Section 4.5.4.2 The Note is correct, but very long. I would like to see it shortened but have not wording proposal at the moment. It aims at avoiding situations that I suggest prevent by my proposal 20 on the sender side.

24. Section 4.6.1 first line, replace "does" with "do"

25. Section 4.6.3, the Note.  replace "That there" with "There".

26. Chapter 5. 2nd paragraph after box, delete "is" in "is SHOULD NOT"

27. Chapter 5. last paragraph. add "support" after "discovery".

28. Chapter 5. last paragraph. I hesitate a lot about this simple way of detecting support. We need a proper way to detect RTT capability before we start to use it. There may be systems that have to select between different protocols for RTT, and they should not need to start sending in one protocol to try to discover if RTT is supported. Still, I realize the convenience of this simple method, and would let a discussion decide if it shall be kept. If it is kept, the paranthesis characters on the second line should be deleted so that the rapid response on this initiation is made part of the protocol.

29. Section 6.2.1 Last paragraph, first line. Replace "display" with "handle". There may be other than displaying terminals handling the rtt.

30. Section 6.5.3.1. Please divide in paragraphs for easier reading.

31. Section 6.5.3.1. Middle. Add "support" after "Participant clients without real-time text"

32. Section 6.5.3.2. Please divide in paragraphs for easier reading.

33. Section 6.5.4. The default action for a non-completed message should be to regard it completed after some time, not to clear it. So, replace "clear (and/or save)" with "save".

34. Chapter 14. Is there a way to express the default value for p in a schema? If so, insert it.

35. Chapter 15. "Hellstrom" should be spelled with double l.

As you see, only comments 14, 18, 28 and 33 really affect the protocol.

Thanks,
Gunnar