I largely agree with what you said in reply. Yes - I also agree that
XEP-0301 will meet F.700 with 700 ms Transmission Interval if network
delays are <300 ms. I also note that without KPI's, the Average delay is
less - BUT the variability is Very High.

However, I think we are talking about some different things. I was talking
about the need to quantify in some way the psychological impact of KPIs on
the User Perception of Transmission Intervals - whatever they are set at.

I am concerned that implementers, because they have little idea of the
Impact of KPIs on Users, may GUESS that KPIs will give 'a bit of
improvement' but assume that it is not worth them implementing KPIs. (We
are all aware of the many announcements of 'big improvements' to some
protocol or other which really mean 10% improvement if you are lucky.
Quantification takes out the Guess-work.)

Some quantification of the magnitude of the Improvement - one or two
sentences - could indicate that there is a significant benefit to
implementing KPIs - and it could allow longer Transmission Intervals which
would reduce the <message/> stanzas/sec whilst keeping the User perception
of delay within acceptable bounds.

Cheers,
/Barry

Barry Dingle
Fixed - +61(0)3-9725-3937    Mob - +61(0)41-911-7578
Fellow of University of Melbourne, Electrical and Electronic Eng.,
Australia