Hi Randy,

the issue about the browser interaction is that the SSO mechanisms for the Web* have not standardized the authentication part. Since there is so much Web deployment out there and folks have an interest to work with existing deployment.

However, there is a window of opportunity here: there is currently an effort ongoing to standardize a new HTTP authentication mechanism. Additionally, there is the (maybe a bit theoretical) chance to make use of ABFAB (another IETF effort, see http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-abfab-arch-03).

Does this make sense to you?

Ciao
Hannes

*: For the mobile world (if you consider 3GPP specifications) then there is a way to use WebSSO procedures without the interactive browser interaction.